Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Is there a difference between parkinson's syndrome and parkinson's disease?
la0577 posted:
I have recently seen parkinson's referred to as parkinson's syndrome and parkinson's disease. Is there a difference between the two or is it just referred to in two different terms?

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
la0577,
Parkinson's Disease, or idiopathic Parkinson's Disease (PD), is a condition with a tremor at rest, slowness of movement, stiffness of the limbs and balance difficulty. These symptoms almost always improve with medications.

Parkinsonism is a condition that looks like PD with usually very little tremor, that does not respond as well to antiparkinson therapy. Some causes of parkinsonism include symptoms caused by anti-psychotic or anti-nause medications, stroke, thyroid abnormalities, low vitamin B12, normal pressure hydrocephalus or one of the Parkinsonism Plus Syndromes. These include Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, Cortico-Basal Ganglionic Degeneration and Multiple System Atrophy.

susiemargaret replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
hello, dr. stacy --

i apologize, but i'm not sure i understood your answer. so is parkinson's "syndrome" one of the conditions that could be considered a form of parkinsonism, and therefore different altogether from parkinson's disease itself?

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD replied to susiemargaret's response:
Hi, susiemargaret.
PD can be a parkinson syndrome, but it is the only one that responds predictably to anti-parkinson medications. All other conditions that look like parkinsonism, would be a parkinson syndrome, but could not be called PD.

We try to split PD out from the parkinson syndrome by looking for extra features, like bladder dysfunction, markedly low blood pressure, seizures, and by looking for a response to medications. Extra features on examination, or a poor response to levodopa, should prompt further imaging and laboratory work-up.

la0577 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Hi Dr. Stacy,

I also wanted to know what the prognosis for Parkinsonism induced by head trauma is versus for Parkinson's disease. I seem to find the prognosis for Parkinson's disease but nothing on Parkinsonism. Can I assume that they are the same?

susiemargaret replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
hello, dr. stacy --

thank you for explaining -- a most interesting distinction that i don't think i've ever understood before.

i hope you know what a huge asset you are to this exchange.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Tony_h replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Dear dr mark, my name is tony, from Indonesia Can you tell me about vascular Parkinsonism? Recently I have patient with non hemorrhagic stroke wit infarct in left basal ganglia that develop tremor, meyerson sign and bradykinesia, can't I diagnose this patient with vascular Parkinsonism ?

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center