Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Legs that won't move
newshen posted:
I have had PD for about 10 years. Recently, I have been experiencing "freezing"symptoms. This weekend, at a wedding, it was worse than ever and I would like any suggestions as to how to avoid it.
I had taken my medicine at the proper time all day. We had a long drive to our destination, no time to rest, changed and went to an elegant dinner on a riverboat. I ate a good meal about 6 and four hours later, when it was time to leave. My legs and feet refused to move. So my husband and brother in law got on each side of me a literally dragged up of the boat and up the hill to the car. My legs felt dead. I was worried the same thing would happen the next day at the wedding and of course it did. However, that evening after dinner, I relaxed, danced and all was well. What is the answer, food of some kind with my pills, a nap, not being uptight etc. ? thanks

susiemargaret responded:
hello, N --

i'm bumping this to the top again because i think dr. stacy might have inadvertently overlooked it.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

newshen replied to susiemargaret's response:
Thanks, Susiemargaret. I hope Dr Stacy can give me some answers.
n-hen

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Hi, Newshen
Freezing can be a difficult symptom to treat, because is has so many things that can cause it. Philosophically, movement in the brain can be like a computer. We have a thinking part of a brain: "I want to walk down the aisle." We have activity storage in the brain (the cerebellum) that has the program for walking. The thought and the program has to be connected through a circuit, housed in the basal ganglia - the place where PD lives. This circuit is similar to the RAM on a computer. In PD your RAM or ability to call up programs becomes limited: walking, remembering the names of friends and family at the wedding, worry about getting up and down, worry about your kids behavior, worry about your husbands behavior all take RAM. When you get rid of all the distractions, and walk - like in the doctors office - you can walk much better. But think about that next step, and it stops,

In your case, the limited RAM was also impacted by low blood pressure from your drive. The more you drink, the more you stop the car - so you fluid restricted.

You have your answers: relax, eat well, stay hydrated, and focus on what you want to do. Remember -- dancing is a motor program (some better than others), so once you get started, it should go well.

newshen replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Dr Stacy-
Thank you so very much. I have another family wedding to attend in about 10 days and I hope to put your suggestions into play. Interesting that you mention that I can walk much better in the Dr's office.. this is very true, to my surprise.
Thanks again for your help.

newshen

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center