Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Rotenone sample questions
Rotenonequestions posted:
I started back to college in my 40's and while there I took an icthyology class. An ongoing research study participated in by the college included a yearly rotenone sample in a small cove of a nearby lake. Students were to participate in the study in various ways, including standing in the water that had been sprinkled with rotenone powder. We were to collect the fish, identify them, size them, etc. The sample was conducted on two days.
A few years later at the age of 53 I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.
My questions are: Without assigning any blame to anyone or any institution, I'm wondering if there are others like me? Also, wondering if it is actually possible that the rotenone in the water could actually be a contributing factor in my disease diagnosis? Also wondering if others would contact me? Note to WebMD: If my asking these questions is too much, please let me know and you may delete this post. Thanks!

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear Rotenonequestions,
I will need to do some homework to determine the risk of exposure. Please be patient, as I seek out advice from colleagues.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear Rotenonequestions,
I have had the opportunity to hear from:
J Timothy Greenamyre, MD, PhDProfessor & Vice-Chair of Neurology
Director, Pittsburgh Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases
University of Pittsburgh

Dr. Greenamyre is a world recognized expert on Parkinson's Disease and Rotenone. Here are his comments:

"Rotenone is a pesticide and acts as a poison to mitochondria, which are the power plants contained within all of our cells. Exposure to pesticides and defects in mitochondria have both been implicated as causal factors in Parkinson's disease. Rotenone is also used in lakes and reservoirs to sample fish or to kill nuisance fish - which is how you were exposed to it.

Has rotenone itself been shown to cause PD? Not exactly. When it is administered to rats, it accurately reproduces much of the pathology and many of the symptoms of the disease. In humans, at least one published epidemiological study indicates that exposure to rotenone greatly increases the risk of developing PD. I also know of another unpublished study showing the same thing. But these epidemiological studies are statistical associations between exposure and risk of developing disease; by their nature, they cannot show that rotenone is a cause of PD.

So, what does this mean for you? Could rotenone have had a role in your developing PD? Maybe. It certainly seems plausible, but there is no way to determine with certainty in any individual what has caused their disease. Are there other people with similar stories of rotenone exposure who have subsequently developed PD? Yes, I have heard such stories many times. Even so, there is no way to prove that rotenone was the cause of anyone's disease."

Rotenonequestions replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Thank you both for the research and for answering my questions. Unfortunately i'm still left wondering. it seems tha nothing is certain with PD. If it were certain, the cure would be close behind. OH well, maybe someday.
So i still have,
Rotenonequestions...

sparky1109 replied to Rotenonequestions's response:
I too bristle at the prefix 'idiopathic' to the common diagnosis for PD. In my case I have narrowed it down to two possibiblities:1) as a child i was treated with radiation therapy for tonsilitis and 2) having suffered from hay fever in the autumn that rated 13 on a scale of ten, for many years I used the most powerful anthistimines available. Oddly my hayfever dissappeared about five years before my PD started. Does anyone know anything about this?

Helpful Tips

Parkinson's app for iPad
I found a free app for my iPhone/iPad and it seems to be pretty good. It's called Parkinson's Central and it is sponsored by the National ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center