Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
types of parkinso
An_221499 posted:
iare there parkinson more agressive then others?

sparky1109 responded:
I am not a doctor, however, I was diagnosed seven years ago with the disease at the age o 49. My experience has been that both the syptoms and progression of the disease is differernt for every individual. As such, doctors are reluctant to render a prognosis. One reliable, but expensive tool is a PET scan to see how advanced the disease has gone, however, many insurance companys will not pay for Parkinson's patients.

Good Luck!

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD replied to sparky1109's response:
Dear Anon_125324,
While it is difficult to have a crystal ball about prognosis in PD, we do know some basic things. People diagnosed with idiopathic PD, rather than a 'parkinson syndrome' do better. Listen carefully to your doctor when you ask, "Do I have idiopathic PD or something else." As sparky1109 suggests, a PET scan, or early next year a DaTSCAN can help with the diagnosis.

If the answer is PD, there are two types: tremor dominant or postural instability and gait disorder (PIGD). The tremor dominant group seems to do better. However, when I reviewed a large clinical series while at the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center many years ago, I found that on average patients remain able to work for 12 years after diagnosis.

If you think that you are changing more rapidly than "normal," ask your doctor if you need some medication adjustments, or if something else is happening.

lovedogs1955 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
How does PD show up on a PET scan? I know that cancer is found by "hot spots" seen on the scans.

sparky1109 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Just over eight years ago, at the age of 49 I was diaosed. I had to take disability after only two years, The second two years were great. I attended scool and kept busy, The third two years saw my wife and I drawing apart as I became more home bound and she maintained a normal social and prof life, The last two years were a downward spiral, I felt that my codition was worsening and my isolation was inreasing geometrically. At the beginning of 2010 I began showing signs of dopamine dysregulation syndrome, and my wife and I agreed that i should move to assisted living. That was two weeks ago and I feel GREAT! The cramps and stiffness have abated and i am using half as much Sinimet as I was at home. as to the tye of PD that afflicts me, my syptoms manifest themselves with profound weakness in my legs and occasional (sometimes exremely paifnul) cramping Any Ideas?

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center