Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Parkinson's and remission of Parkinson's Disease
sparky1109 posted:
I have recently moved to a supportive living facility and discovered a marked improvement in the physycal sypmtpms of my disease.I previously lived in a high rise condominium in the depths of a large city. My current abode is in a more rural area, and the facility contains many large spaces.Also, my symptoms have varied widely with the changing of the seasons, and the quality of the weather over a period of time.My PD is classified ideopathic, however at various times in my life I have experienced extraordinary stress. I was diagnosed eight years ago at which time I exhibeted extreme tremour and have, at times, suffered long bouts of dysconesia of which there is not trace now and has not been for at
least a year.Lastly Parkinson's is supposed to get worse as time goes by. I swear my physical symptoms are improving. Psychiatric difficulties are, however another matter. Is it possible that I have been misdiagnosed?

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Hi, sparky1109,
I am not sure if I can really answer your questions, but do believe rural living agrees with you! In my practice if a patient has a rapid worsening of PD symptoms I look for three basic things: 1) Medication Error, 2) another illness - usually an infection, such as a pneumonia or urinary tract infection and 3) severe stress.

I suspect that the worry of life in your prior living situation, and your worry about the new home was quite intense. When all turned out for the better - so did you.

With that said you may want to establish care with a new neurologist in the area, and ask the new doctor your questions.

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center