Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
what to do
wmalice posted:
My Dr. is sending me to a movement specalist for possible brain stimulation treament for my parkinsons has anyone been through this and did it help

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Here's a WebMD article that might have information for you!

New Look at Brain Stimulation for Parkinson's - Study Shows Good Results When Either of 2 Areas of Brain Are Targeted

Best of luck to you!

Haylen

capnhook25 responded:
I'm a 53yo family physician medically retired due to Parkinson's. I had dbs surgery in May of 2010 at UCSF.

I would classify the surgery as relatively easy from the patient's point of view. I had no complications, minimal postop pain, and was home in two days.

The biggest issue is which Parkinson's symptoms do you find most debilitating? I had moderate bradykinesia (slowness) with shuffling gait; symptoms which respond well to dbs. Howver, my biggest handicap is my speech disorder-soft, rapid speech very difficult to understand, even after 2 months of speech therapy. This does NOT respond well to DBS, and I've spent the last ten months trying to find an electrode setting (the dbs can be "customized" to what your symptoms respond to, and further adjustments are very easy to do post-operatively) that would control my motor symptoms (easy) and improve my speech (very difficult).

If you follow through with a neurosurgery consult, be very clear with your surgeon which symptoms are most debilitating and how likely dbs is to treat them. Dr Phillip Starr at UCSF was an outstanding neurosurgeon and was very "up front" with me about what the surgery could and could not do.

Hopefully, this has been helpful. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

wmalice replied to capnhook25's response:
thank you for the information. i did not know that all symptoms are not involved with the implant.

today was my mri. sure glad that is over with. again thank you.

Helpful Tips

Parkinson's app for iPad
I found a free app for my iPhone/iPad and it seems to be pretty good. It's called Parkinson's Central and it is sponsored by the National ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center