Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
sleeping problems
sparky1109 posted:
I was diagnosed with PD eight years ago. Recently I have been experiencing my head turning tightly to my strong side as I sleep resulting in a painful cramp on my weak (left) side when I wake. Is there any remedy for this?

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Hi, Sparky1109
It sounds like you are having some wearing off from levodopa during the night. There are several options to discuss with your doctor. You may wish to take and additional half tablet during the night, if you wake up during the night. Also, trying a dopamine agonist (pramipexole or ropinirole) at bedime may help - especially if you can try the long acting form. Another potential solution is baclofen 10-20 mg at bedtime. This should give you and your doctor some things to talk about, and remember, your doctor knows you better than the person typing this message. Good luck

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
65 of 81 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center