Skip to content


Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Nicotine and PD II
sparky1109 posted:
I recently wrote you about my experience having started smoking eight years after being diagnosed with PD. I did not mean to say that I found it a complete help. I have noticed a sudden and sometimes almost complete inability to move after smoking a cigarette. Nicotine is supposed to increase the dopamine released to the brain, it seems to be having the opposite effect on me, while (at the same time)relieving 'sluggeish bowel syndrome' somewhat. I am cutting down on the smoking as the immobility spells seem to be worsening.
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Hi, sparky 1109
I think your experience with mobility after nicotine is more consistent with the nicotine patch trials in the 1990's. There is some effort to study a nicotine like drug for dyskinesias, but do not know the current plans for this effort. I would agree with stopping tobacco use.

Helpful Tips

My legs ache when standing, they feel like lead weights. Also I get severe chills. Are these symptons of Parkinsons? More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center