Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
PD Meds and Addictions
njladyluck posted:
Hi Dr. Stacy:

I have been on Azilect now since Nov. and it was doing fine for me. Like it because it is the least intrusive — just once a day. It solved my dry eye syndrome, pain from stiffness, pd mask, slurred speech, etc. — the things that were really bothering me at work. For a couple of months now I have noticed that I am getting pain in my hand again from the stiffness (although still minor), the mask is back, dry eyes again (but not as bad as before) and now my foot and hand on my right side are sometimes a little stiff in the mornings. My next appointment with my pd dr. is in August and I just wanted to find out your thoughts on the ropinirole, pramipexole meds for a person who is in two 12-step recovery programs (food & alcohol). On another support site I go to, someone shared that they were in recovery and that they take one of them (forgot which one) and it didn't bother them. Of course my pd dr. will have to evaluate me to see if I need more meds — I'm willing to stay on just Azilect for as long as possible. I told my pd dr. about my addictive personality so will discuss with her. What are your thoughts on these drugs that are oftentimes blamed to cause addictive behaviors and people with addictive personalities. Also in the alternative do you know for how long say ? of a Sinemet pill if taken once a day or 2x, 3x a day will do any good along with the Azilect.

As always, thank you for your thoughts!!!! I always feel much better when making decisions about this disease when I look at a lot of different options. So grateful right now to have choices and your being on WebMD helps a lot!!!!

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear njladyluck,
While all PD drugs can aggravate these behaviors, Pramipexole and Ropinirole may be more likely to lead to the addictive behaviors. It may be that the Sinemet approach will be better. It is important to have a conversation with your doctors, and really be aware of any increasing urge for alcohol, food or gambling urges.

njladyluck replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Thank you for your thoughts Dr. Stacy. To be honest with you I was thinking of going for the other drugs but also now think I should stick to the Sinemet and from past discussions with my dr. think she wants me to stick with sinemet as well. thanks again!!

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center