Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
PD - Please, please help!!!
Lambchops65 posted:
Hi,

My dad is 72 and was in full health until 2-3 months ago (apart from type2 diabetes and some cognitive impairment). He was misdiagnosed with a pulled muscle in his back. This muscle turned out to be a burst gall bladder. The docs removed 3L of bile from his organs and were amazed that he survived such a serious surgery.

After the surgery his speech and swallow were affected for a good few weeks. He then contracted mrsa but amazingly came through all of this illness. On his day of discharge (c. 8 wk later) he had a bad fall and acquired a head injury.

Since this he has gone rapidly downhill and getting worse on a daily basis. They did CT and MRI scans and both seemingly came back clear. They were at a total loss as to what was wrong with him. He was displaying symptons of a stroke but they ruled this out.

He has since contracted aspiration pneumonia and is seriously ill. He cant swallow and can barely say any words. He has lost 5 stone in weight and looks and sounds dreadful.He is vomiting up any food or thickened water they give him.

They have now involved another medical team and they feel that he is displaying symptons of PD. He is moving his legs up and down in the bed constantly and can hardly open his mouth and sometimes looks like he is chewing constantly but apart from that I can see no other PD symptons. I feel that the dont know what is wrong with him and are looking for a "label".

Sorry for the long mail but I really need help/advice and would appreciate talking to someone who has experienced PD or any of the above.

Thanks in advance. LC

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
LC - Just wanted to give you big (((hugs))) for what you and your father are going through. This must be an incredibly stressful time for you.

I'm not the expert on this board - that is Dr. Stacy. But I do have advice for you -please take care of yourself during this time !

Take care - Haylen

Lambchops65 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Haylen,

Thanks so much for your support.

I met with his medical team yesterday and to be totally honest I felt that I knew as much myself! It is so frustrating.

Dr Stacy - if you get to read this, I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear lamchops65,
I am sorry to read of your father's difficult health issues. I think his movements are most likely from medications. Please ask his doctors and nurses whether he has "Tardive Dyskinesia." This is caused by major tranquilizers, and, more likely in your father's case, anti-nausea medications.

The good news is that this should improve once the causative medication is identified and stopped.

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center