Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
My Parkinson's med are quitting too early
newshen posted:
I have had PD for about 11 years. I am currently laking SInemet, Azilect and Requp for the disease. Recently my Dr change my Sinemet dose and it seems to run out about an hour before it should I am scheduled to take it every four hours and after 3, ,my legs give out, my body gets tired and it is hard to move. Should I take 1/2 sinemet to get me through the until the next time or is it not good in the long run of dealing with this disease to snesk in an occasional small extra dose.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Hi, newshen
I apologize for my delay. I think you need to let your neurologist know that you are worse since the medication change, specifically that you turn off after 3 hours - a full hour before your next dose.

Then: ask if you should increase the requip or sinemet to help with off time. And finally, what dose or what schedule would work best for you.

newshen replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Thank you Dr Stacy. I changed neurologists and she didn't change my medicine, but gave me a different configuration. I think I needed to give my system more time to get used to a different dose of the same medicine. I am doing much better since you wrote but at my next visit, coming up soon, I will definitely ask if I can add just a bit between doses if it has a tendency to wear off.. I appreciate knowing help is out there if I need it. thanks again
Newshen

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD replied to newshen's response:
I hope you have a good conversation with your new doctor - that is the best way to get better!

Helpful Tips

Vehicle for the Mobility Challenged
My husband has PD and was having a difficult time getting into and out of my Hyundai Elantra. Both because of the limited space between the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center