Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
New patient
grandmadebbbie posted:
I was just told that I have Parkinson's Disease. I always thought there was something wrong but could not put a finger on it. I just need to be able to talk to someone else that knows what is happening to me. My husband understands but he does not. Can anyone help me in finding a chat room for PD.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi grandmadebbie and welcome! (are you, in fact a grandma?)

I'm sure you feel isolated at this time and I'm glad you're reaching out!

Did you ask your doctor if there is a local support group that you could attend? Face-to-face interaction with others might be helpful at this time.

Additionally, you can check out the Parkinson's Disease Health Center for tons of resources and information including this list:

Parkinson's Support and Resources

The expert in this community, Dr. Stacy, is amazing. Be sure to post any questions you have about your diagnosis here.

How are you feeling overall? Have you started any new medications since your diagnosis?

Haylen

lovedogs1955 responded:
Hi Grandmadebbie...I totally understand how you are feeling right now. I know that for me, getting a diagnosis of PD was a kind of relief that we FINALLY had something definitive and that I wasn't crazy. I have found this exchange to be an excellent source of information for me. I hope you have a really good and understanding Neurologist as well as Primary Care Doctor to work together for/with you.

I was told that I have PD back in '08. My major symptoms have been (and still are) tremors on right side, that started in my arm and then moved to my foot;, dropfoot in my right foot that became severe enough for me to have to now wear a brace to keep my foot in proper alignment. Also have pain in my muscles (especially in my chest), physical and mental slowness, and poor physical stamina. I have vertigo, so have been using a cane when I am outside.

I have been treated by a wonderful Physical Therapist who has given me a home exercise program to at least try to maintain my current status. Since I started wearing the brace over a year ago, I am now able to walk my dogs again, so I am able to do that twice a day now, weather permiting! I also have to pace myself because if I don't, I just become too tired, which can lead to me possibly falling.

I hope you can soon start finding some peace of mind.

grandmadebbbie replied to lovedogs1955's response:
Hi lovedogs1955
Thank you for posting a reply,all this stuff is so new to me but thanks to webmd I found out alot of information that is so helpful. My Doctor told me today that there is a support group near us, my husband said he would be happy to go with me.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to grandmadebbbie's response:
Grandmadebbie, I'm so happy to hear that your husband will go with you. Learning more about a new diagnosis sure helps take away that scary feeling.

lovedog1955, thanks for sharing your story!

Haylen

grandmadebbbie replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have had and is dealing with pain I even have a pump for my pain. I just don't have PD but I have arteritis (sorry spelling) It does make me feel better that everyone else is dealing with pain the same way

njladyluck responded:
Hi Grandma,

WebMD is a good site - I really appreciate Dr. Stacy's help!!!! I was diagnosed 7/7/10 with pd. I go to a support chat room for PD in Daily Strength. If you want to learn how to live with pd it is a great site. We all share a lot about pd, life and try to look for the funny part of PD. One note - when you setup your user name please make it anonymous because you can be searched on the web under your user name. They have other security settings you can setup as well.

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center