Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Esophageal spasms
lovedogs1955 posted:
Are spasms in the esophagus common with Parkinson's? I know that difficulty swallowing is.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Esophageal spasms are not typical of PD, but can happen. I would recommend a swallowing study to assess this problem.

lovedogs1955 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
I followed up with my GI doctor last week and he recommended another endoscopy. I had my last one in early June and he had to dilate a stricture in my esophagus. Had it done again yesterday, and he told my husband that he had to dilate my esophagus 3 times. I'm quite sure one of the places was right in the back of my throat---it was pretty darn sorn last night, but better this morning. My doctor told my husband that he was sure he'd be seeing us again, but hopefully not as quickly as this time.

I also spoke with the anesthesiologist prior to the procedure and told him about how my body hates to move much for a day or two after getting any kind of sedation. Muscles are stiff and ache. He told me that it is a very common response seen in PD patients. Just thought I'd pass that info along...

lovedogs1955 replied to lovedogs1955's response:
Well, after only a week having the esophageal dilations done, I started having problems swallowing again. My GI doctor says that since it's so soon after being dilated, that he thinks I might have a motility problem. We are going to try new medication to see if it helps with swallowing.

The new medication is hyoscyamine, which is an antispasmodic. It helps to relax smooth muscles and is taken about 30 minutes before eating. He says that I will try it for a week or so and check back with him. If it isn't better, then we will try another medication.

I asked the doctor if this is maybe in part due to the Parkinson's Disease and he said that it could be. I also cough sometimes when eating.

Anyone else bothered by problems with swallowing?

JERSEY115 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
I TOO HAVE BEEN HAVING A PROBLEM WITH CHOKING. ABOUT ONCE A DAY I HAVE HAD PROBLEM NOT BE ABLE TO SWALLOW. I CAN FEEL MY THROAT TIGHTING UP AND THEN IS TO LATE,MY FOOD IS STUCK. WENT TO A GI DOCTOR WHO DID AND ENDOSCOPE(NOTHING) ORDERED A BARIUM SWALLOW(NOTHING) IN THE MEAN TIME STILL THE FEELING OF CHOKING IS HAPPENING AND I AM STARTING TO WORRY. TODAY WAS MY SECOND TIME IN THE ER AND NO ONE KNOW WHY. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH ENT MAYBE THEY CAN HELP. DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTION

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD replied to JERSEY115's response:
Dear Jersey115
I think you are doing the right things. I would suggest seeing a speech therapist, also. The therapist can help you with practical suggestions, and if those help, the cause will not be as big a concern.

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center