Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Unsure of PD diagnosis....
pstressler posted:
Help.....My Mom is in hospital with many of the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. Her Neurologist is leaning towards PD diagnosis. From the info I have gotten on webMD it sure is sounding like my Mom is in the advanced stages of this disease with her just now starting to get tremors but, almost all other symptoms she has had for years. Could this go undiagnosed for years? What is the prognosis and life expectancy of someone with PD? I am trying to wrap my head around all of this info and digest it all and I'm in a fog.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, P --

i'm bumping your post back to the top because i think dr. stacy might have overlooked it. of course, it is also possible that he simply has not had the time to look at it yet; he has about a zillion responsibilities other than his wonderful service to us!

in addition, you might want to take a look at the webMD info on parkinson's disease, http://www.webmd.com/parkinsons-disease/default.htm .

i send caring thoughts to you and your family and hope you will keep us posted on how your mother is doing.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear pstressler,
It would be unusual for the symptoms of PD to go missed for years. I think you will need to discuss this with her doctor. I would also ask if she could have a parkinson syndrome - that could be caused by another illness or from medications for nausea, high blood pressure or major tranquilizers.

susiemargaret replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
hello, dr. stacy --

thank you! i hope you didn't mind my calling this post to your attention.

we are eternally grateful for the time and attention you give to us. i know you have many responsibilities.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD replied to susiemargaret's response:
Hi, susiemargaret
Always glad to get your reminders - sometimes I am asleep at the eWheel!

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center