Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Azilect and High Blood Pressure
southwest2012 posted:
I have PD (diagnosed in 2004 at age 47); my current medications are:
Azilect: 1mg tablet, 1x day
Stalevo 100: 5 tablets a day
Sinemet 25/100: Up to 7 tablets a day, as needed.
Recently (past 3 months) I have been spiking very high blood pressure. I believe this is from the Azilect. The Azilect website lists the known food/drug interactions, and food/drugs to avoid. I am not consuming any of the risk foods (Aged cheese, meats, soy, etc), have essentially quit coffee altogether, and take no other drugs. The consistent pattern is, I'll start wearing off a bit and get slight tremors, and then dose as normal with one 100 stalevo and 1/2 Sinemet 25/100 tablet. Immediately after, my BP will go from a typical 128/80 up to as high as 190/110, with severe dizziness, tremors, and bradykinesia (can't walk well). Has anyone in the PD community experienced this, and if so, was it attributed to Azilect? Thanks in advance for your response.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Please check in with your prescribing doctor with a list of these symptoms.

You can check out drug feedback here:

Drugs & Medication A - Z: Find or Review a Drug

Some posters may have experienced similar symptoms that can give you more insight to take to your physician.

Haylen

texas883 responded:
To southwest2012 - I saw your post from 11 months ago and was wondering if you found a connection to Azilect and high blood pressure. My husband has been on Azilect (1mg) for a year and a half and has just had very high spikes in his blood pressure. He is not overweight, exercises regularly and eats fairly well. We feel there is a connection to the Azilect and are waiting to hear back from his neurologist. I was curious to see what your results were.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear southwest 2012,
Although is it not common, some people with PD notice a blood pressure change when their medication is wearing off. This sounds more like what is happening. You seem to have done everything right about avoiding tyramine containing foods, and it would be quite rare for you to be having regular blood pressure elevations on this drug. You may wish to contact your doctor and ask if the azilect is helping your PD symptoms. If not, your doctor may want to try another strategy.

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center