Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
cholesterol,keto acidosis and insuline
worn1 posted:
Good afternoon Dr Stacy
during my web surfing for info i found a site called second opinion
one of the items mentioned was a low choleterol was bad in older individuals as the brain was not getting enoght colesterol - they indorsed a high hdl
the next item was a diet that produces ketoacidosis should be recommended for parkinsons. This is suppose to protect the neurons.
last item deals with insulin. Insulin resistance can cause dementia

My question to you is willl a diet causing keto acidosis help with parkinson. I need to loose the 20 pounds I have gained in the last 8 months and i am seriously thinking about trying this type of diet.

How can we prevent insulin reseistane. will keeping weight down do it.

What is your opinion on low cholesterol in women. Mine is low with a normal hdl

w

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear worn1
I do not recommend any specific diet for people with PD. I do think good nutrition and moderate exercise is good advice. I will go out on a limb here - I feel so strongly about exercise, I am going to do it myself some day!

(that may be the issue for all of us.)

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center