Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
parkinson interest
worn1 posted:
Dr Stacy
Forgive me for being nosy but what made you decide to specialize in Parkinson? I do not mean this in a derogatory way. I became interested in Laboratory Medicine because I was interested in what the disease process did to the human body. Watching autopsies was great at first until I started working with patients. We had an 11 yo boy with liver cancer and watching him slowly die was one of the hardest things I ever did. Liver transplants were not available at that time and Heart transplants were new. What I did not understand and still do not was how the mother could send him to the hospital on his own. I remember watching this young boy walk throuogh the halls to the lab with his head held high and ignoring all of the looks he would recieve. He never complained. He was more of an adult than most adults. The terminallly ill patients made my passion for medicine stronger and an advocate for the patient. I will question anything that does not appear to be right. And everytime I hear a doctor or nurse fighting for their patient I thank them even though I may be the one they decide to let loose all of their frustraion and anger.
So Dr Stacy what is your story

W

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Hi, worn1
Thank you for your question. I did not see a person with Parkinson's Disease until I was a second year resident. During a rotation at a small local hospital, a family brought in their husband/father, because they could no longer really care for him. He had a severe tremor, could not walk, and moved more slowly than anyone I had ever seen (and I thought - "this looks like Parkinson's disease"). I spent the next 20 minutes going to the nursing station and reading about the signs and symptoms of PD, and then going to his room to ask the family questions. After I decided the man had PD, I then looked at medications to treat the symptoms (thankfully, there were not many back then), and asked my attending if I could place a feeding tube, so I could give him a solution of dissolved carbidopa/levodopa. The family was so gracious to let me try this.

The next day he could sit up and even talk a bit. He got better and better and was able to go home. The family thought I was a genius - and until now, have not told the story of how really uninformed I was during that first day. I think every person in health care, has a decision moment like this. I will always know the transformation in that patient, was smaller than the transformation in this doctor.

worn1 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Dr Stacy
Thank you for choosing Parkinson's. You have made a bigger impact than you realize.
w

susiemargaret replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
hello, dr. stacy --

we are very fortunate to have you as our expert in this community!

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to susiemargaret's response:
I agree with worn1 and susiemargaret 100%! This community benefits greatly from your expertise and the time you give us is very appreciated.

Thanks so much for all you do!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Parkinson's app for iPad
I found a free app for my iPhone/iPad and it seems to be pretty good. It's called Parkinson's Central and it is sponsored by the National ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center