Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
parkinson and carpole tunnel
worn1 posted:
Dr Stacy
Please ignore the spelling. Lovedogs55 in one of her discussions wondered if you had any patients with this combination. My question is how do you tell if the problem you are having is related to parkinsons or development of carpol tunnel?

w

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
PD and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome are not directly related, so they can both occur in the same person

lovedogs1955 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
I think worn1 was asking more about how to figure out what is causing the pain. Most of us have pain a great deal of the time and sometimes it is very hard to figure out exactly what the source is.

worn1 replied to lovedogs1955's response:
lovedogs1955
I checked with one of the pathologists I work for and he said a neurologist should be able to identify carpal tunnel--(wish I had spell check). He stated the way they make the identification is by the pain. Is it localized to just one area. But that does not guarantee it is carpal tunnel. In other words How experienced is the neurologist with carpal tunnel and parkinsons. He stated it would not hurt to get a second opinion. I am a skeptic when it comes to doctors--sorry Dr Stacy---I have been misdiagnosed and told the pain is my imagination and there is nothing more they can do for me. That being said I have to say I currently have excellent doctors except for the GP. I have a new GP whom I see on the 16. The jury out on this one until I meet him/her. This will make the 3rd GP in the last 6 months. Hope this one has his/her act together. But i digress. I hope this helps. At least we know what they are looking at.

Have the braces helped?

w

worn1 replied to worn1's response:
lovedogs1955
does the pain feel similar to a charlie horse?
I reread your symptons and the part where the pain is extreame when trying to pick something up reminds me of the pain I had and was misdiagnosed. Has your neurologist considered mirapex. I know there are a lot of parkinson's people out there that say mirapex is bad medicine but i have only positive things to say about my medication regime.
Just a thought
w

lovedogs1955 replied to worn1's response:
Being a retired RN, I am pretty familiar with what you were told by the pathologist, worn1. I do appreciate your asking and the interest in the problem. The braces seem to be helping some, mostly on my dominate side. That's a good thing! I don't have any skepticism in the dx of carpal tunnel.
I certainly hope your new GP works out for you. I am so fortunate to have a wonderful group of physicians who actually communicate with each other about me! Pretty rare, right?! And, they are spread out in 3 different areas, so that makes it even more rare. My GP has sort of taken over being the Case Manager for me---since I was a CCM, I found that I was doing it and frankly, I don't have the energy or the brain endurance to do that any longer. I also make my husband go into my neuro appts with me.

worn1 replied to lovedogs1955's response:
lovedogs1955
You are right it is rare to have so many physicians communicate. Just think if communication between doctors was the norm for all how much better health care would be.

I am so happy to hear your braces are working.
Sometimes I am over helpful. I am so use to problem solving that sometimes I forget people are not always looking for help but voicing a concern.

w

lovedogs1955 replied to worn1's response:
Not to worry! It's nice to share each other's journey with PD. I think we are still looking for the answer about how to determine WHAT the pain is being caused by. Since I have neuropathy, PD and now Carpal tunnel, it is difficult to determine sometimes what is causing any given discomfort.

As far as my carpal tunnel, I haven't had an "explosion" of electrical type pain in almost two weeks, which is the length of time I've been wearing the braces. Not to say that the pain is gone, just the BAD, explosive pain.

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center