Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
reprogramming of astrocytes
worn1 posted:
Dr Stacy
I just read an article in science daily concerning the reprogramming of astorcytes to produce dopamine. It produced more questions than it answered, Assuming this works what would stop the same destruction of the reprogramed astorcytes that is happeining to the neurons producing dopamine?

w
I know its experimental--many years down the road and any answer you give would be a guess.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Hi, worn1
I do not know of this work. I think it is an interesting idea for dopamine delivery. Would be concerned about how to target the astrocytes in the striatum (to help PD) vs the cortex (and cause symptoms of schizophrenia. (The brain is like real estate - location, location, location.)

worn1 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Dr Stacy
Here is the web site (hopefully--I am lousy with relaying websites)
www.sciencedaily.com

w

worn1 replied to worn1's response:
it worked. type in astrocyte in the search box. about half way down the page.

dec of 2011
there are also a couple of current articles on this same page

w

worn1 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Perelman School of Medicine located at the University of Pensylvannia performed the research. The aritcle appeared in Science Daily 13 Dec 2011. I can find information but getting to other people has always been a problem. At work I just print it off and deliver it to who ever requested the info.

w

susiemargaret replied to worn1's response:
hello, all --

the astrocytes article is at http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111213144721.htm .

i know there has to be a way to get the dec 13, 2011, front page, so that you can look at the other "current articles" on the same page (see fourth post above), but i can't figure it out. sorry!

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

worn1 replied to susiemargaret's response:
Thank You susiemargaret

http://www.sciencedailey.com/release/2012/04/120425115314.htm .

http://www.sciencedailey.com/release/2012/04/120417143855.htm .

There is also an article published by Reuters in Science Daily Titled
Scientists "switch off" brain cell death in mice
I was unable to figure out how to get the link for this article
London May 6 2012 (Reuters)

w

susiemargaret replied to worn1's response:
hello, W --

the "brain cell death" article is at http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre84509x-us-brain-neurodegeneration . it is in news daily, not science daily, but they look like they are published by the same people.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

worn1 replied to susiemargaret's response:
Thanks again susie margaret!!
I hope these arrticles give hope.
Just think maybe this is part of the solution for all neurological disorders
This article gives me hope that they will be able to stop the domino(SP) destruction of our brain cells.combine this with astrocytes taking over dopamine production we would not have to worry about further loss of movement and memory. Eventually No one would have to experience Parkinsons, Alszheimers, MS etc.

w

I

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center