Manganese Toxicity
An_245392 posted:
Hello,

I have been having problems with muscle stiffness, twitching, tiredness, my wife says I walk like an old man now, and my hands shake, especially when I'm trying to use them. I also have RLS that I think is worsening but I dunno. the rest of it is, I'm sure, but the RLS has been around for a while now.

To make a long story short, I had been experimenting with KMnO4-based rocket propellants. Not a common thing, I'm sure, but I had been told that it couldn't work, it was too reactive, so I had to give it a shot. The stuff never produced much in the way of visible exhaust, so I never worried about it much. It never even occurred to me that it might be the problem until almost a year after I started having symptoms. It wasn't a daily thing, fortunately, but I'm sure I've inhaled a LOT of the fumes. The connection occurred to me one day after I tested a smallish motor and I felt absolutely drained and sore the next day.

A few weeks later I had a blood test done and my level was at 24ug/L. According to my doctor that's within the normal limits, but my reading online says that it's high. I don't see any clear standard, but some studies seem to say 7ug/L and others 15ug/L. One said 20ppb, but that was from 1979, and I don't know how standards and testing has changed since then.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Is that level high? Is a normal level meaningful? If I start getting better I guess it was nothing, but if it doesn't, is there anything that can even be done? Is this something you'd consider worth investigating or no? My doctor gave me a speech about zebras today, but I've basically poisoned myself, I'm afraid, and I don't see how it's unlikely or exotic.

Thanks