Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Neurologists
worn1 posted:
Top of the morning to you Dr Stacy!
I have a question as usual , and i do not mean for it to be taken the wrong way--i am not critisizing(SP)---Do Neurologists ever ask there patients what they do to releive the symptons of parkinsons?

I see articles on treadmills, tandem bikes etc. I could have told them about the treadmill and how it helps and also the stationary bike works great.--i know its not tandem but it still works. I can tell you the difference therapy or pets make, laughter and associating with positive people. I can tell you if coffee prevents parkinson i would not be sending this email and i would be living a normal life.
I do not know about any one else but heat and bright light puts me to sleep. cool about 60-65 and over cast skies invigorate.
By the way I see you have not visited for over a month, Have you given up on us?

w

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear Worn1
Sorry for my truancy. Neurologists do look for these strategies and share them at meetings. We also collect them on some websites. You may wish to browse the NPF or PDF sites for more stories.

worn1 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Dr Stacy
We all need a break sometime. I was just venting steam.
You see I used the treadmill long before science announced it was beneficial. In fact my neurologist told me not to use is as it was too dangerous. But being the hard head I am I continued to use it. Low and behold I knew what i was talking about. I am sure there are others doing what they were told not todo simply because it works. Some times doctors need to listen to the patient or ask what he/she does to slow down the process or helps releive the symptoms. If your patient is doing better than expected ask.
Science is now just paying attention to the affects of parkinson on other areas of the brain such as cognitive. It is nice to move but the ability to think remeber and just plain function is equally important.
I know science has made great strides in just the last few years but i feel like an out sider looking in. I see and know the changes both physically and mentally that are happening to me. I miss who i use to be. . I see the looks and over hear the comments and keep on going.

Thank you for listening
w

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center