Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Cat has unusually red nose
An_220639 posted:
My cat is a strictly indoor cat, but got outside eight days ago. She came back tonight for the first time, incredibly skinny, and with a overly red nose. Any ideas?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bernadine Cruz, DVM responded:
This would be the perfect instance for a picture. Are there any signs of injury? Could she have an abrasion on her nose? Since you mentioned that she is skinny, does she also have signs of a cold? Is she running a fever? The normal cat temperature is 101 to 102.5 degrees F. You can use a digital thermometer to check it. The safest thing would be for you to take your cat to your veterinarian for a thorough exam.

Good luck with your Rudolph the Red Nosed Kitty...
Dr. Bernadine

bmitchell530 responded:
She has no cuts, fleas, ticks, or fever. The redness seems to be going away as she sleeps and stays inside. My best guess is that it must have been from being in the cold and rain. Thank you!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections