Includes Expert Content
My cat is scooting her bottom on the floor after using the litter box
oldbookman posted:
My cat is about 1 year old. It eats a lot, both kibble and wet cat food, and I leave the food out all day. She is quite fat because of eating so much. Now she is defecating normally but doesn't clean up after herself and then drags her bottom around on the floor and even on my living room couch! What to do???

shellybeau responded:
Bring her to the vet to check her anal glands. They may be bothering her and the vet can express them. I've only had experience with my dog, but it sounds similar. Good luck oldbookman!

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
Put her on a diet! Seriously, scooting on the floor means something itches back there. It may be that her anal glands are impacted (full) but this can also be a symptom of a urinary tract infection, diarrhea, etc. and may just mean that she can no longer clean her rear end if she's too fat. This is common in overweight cats, as they can no longer make the "turn" to reach back there. Your veterinarian will be able to tell what's going on and will also be able to advise you on how to control her weight.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

colormeawesome replied to Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP's response:
What if the cat is at a healthy weight but is still scooting? I've seen her clean herself and I know she can get back there. And she doesn't scoot all the time but sometimes I'll come home and see evidence of it on the floor - a small dark spot with a trail. Also, I've noticed lately she has been eating less than usual.