Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Pet Meds vs Human Meds
tlw92978 posted:
My dog was recently hit by a car. The vet gave her Tramadol 50mg tablets. She is still limping and is out of the pain meds. I was wondering, is it ok to give her one or two of my Tramadol for the next couple days or are they very different? I don't want to call the vet and pay for more meds if they are the same and she can take mine.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi,

In veterinary medicine we do use medications often very similiar if not the same as human meds. But you have to watch the strength of the medicine.

It is always adviseable to check with your veterinarian. See what strength your tablets are, and the expiration date, and give your vet a call. They will also want to know that she is out of her own meds and still not 100%.

Tramadol is a fairly safe drug but some aren't so safe. Your veterinarian who has seen your dog is the best to ask this question so that they can note in the record that the Tramadol is being continued and from what source.

Thanks for asking. Great question.

Dr. Sandy

tlw92978 replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
I did end up calling her vet because she started to yip as well and we decided to go ahead and get her more of her own meds. Thank you for you help!!!!!

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM replied to tlw92978's response:
Your welcome. Hope all goes well.

Dr. Sandy

An_220777 responded:
Some medications are okay, under the direction of a veterinarian, such as buffered asprin, but you have to be VERY careful!

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM replied to An_220777's response:
Yes, but folks should always call their veterinarian because our dogs and kitties are not little humans. Sometimes they require a higher dose and sometimes you want to avoid the human meds entirely. We see so many toxicities in pets, especially cats, given human meds.

Dr. Sandy

jayrak replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Medications for pets that are the same as human do not have to be purchased through your vet, they can be purchased at your local pharmacy with a prescription from your vet. We have do it this way and Sam's Club or Walmart was much cheaper than the vet's pricing.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections