Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Cats eating toilet paper
meowmajsw posted:
I have several cats that eat toilet paper. Is this harmful and why do they do it? Should I secure the toilet paper so that they do not have access?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi there,

Cats love to play with toilet paper. As with anything other than food, I would not allow them to consume much. I have never heard of an obstruction with toilet paper, but if they ate enough it could occur. Usually they just swallow small pieces that pass easily.

But again, if they are really eating alot of it, I would limit their access to this play item!!

Dr. Sandy

saintsblack replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
My cat love to play and rub on toilet paper. He never consumes it, I would keep an eye on on him/her and limit him/her because some toilet paper contains chemical and perfume which could be harmful. If he/she take a very little bit then look at if as fiber to help them pass stool. Definately monitor how much they consume.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
My cat likes to play with toilet paper, he's interested when the air vent blows air and moves the paper back and forth.

My cat has lately taken to chewing on paper when he's in my office -- I figured out that he's doing this to let me know that his dry food bowl is empty and he wants me to refill it!

I think Mr. Chuck is like the "dog who ate my homework" -- he would chew up a cash register receipt that's on the floor!

- Annie

Trician13 responded:
Use unscented, undyed toilet paper and just be sure they are not eating too much. My cat LOVES to unroll the toilet paper; so I have learned to keep the end at the top of the roll--no loose end floating in the breeze to attract his attention.

Also, are they really eating the toilet paper, or just tearing it up? My cat loves to tear up paper and cardboard boxes. He bites into it and tears off little bite-sized chunks, then tosses his head to throw them on the floor. At first, I was really concerned, but by closely observing him, I found out that he wasn't eating it and that he just really likes the sound of the paper tearing and being crinkled up. Now I have a box full of crinkled, unprinted newsprint sheets. He plays in the box, tears the paper, and loves it when I hide a toy under the paper in the box.

Lily1939 responded:
Are they only getting to the roll that is up? If so, just turn it from "over" to "under" and they cannot unroll it. You might not like it as well but they get bored and eventually leave it alone.

babyboy76 responded:
  • my dog likes to chew on the paper and even eats it and passes it un digested

4cats1dog responded:
My cat has a card board box fetish also. He likes to sit in it & tear bit after bit off until there is no straight lines on the box anymore & there is a giant pile of cardboard bits all around him & on the floor.
I bet your cats aren't really eating the paper, but like everyone said just watch it if they do.
:)

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections