Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dog is sneezing with bloody nose
seanpatrick1977 posted:
My dog was taken to the vet recently for sneezing.

Her white blood cells were high and so were her liver enzymes.

We discussed the possibility of foxtail and it was almost ruled out. The amount of time she had been sneezing had been 2+ weeks and there is no thick mucous. On the other hand benadryl did not stop her sneezing.

My dog completed a round of antibiotics but I noticed blood coming from her nose and some blood where she lies. I wiped her nose a few times and there were small amounts of blood. Other times during the day the nose has been clean with no blood.

Has anyone experienced this before, what was it?

I am going to the vet in the morning.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi Seanpatrick,

Does the blood come from one or both nostrils?

A foxtail would likely result in problems in only one nostril, and yes, it could result in sneezing. We do see infections in the nostrils but usually that is secondary to something else going on, like a foxtail.

There are small parts of cells that are seen on the complete blood count called platelets. They are involved in the blood clotting and sometimes we can see blood from the nose, termed epistaxis, when they are low but that would be both sides. If there is a foreign body such as a foxtail up the nose, that can cause irriation and bleeding.

With blood work, we eliminate causes that can cause bleeding such as low platelets. Some times additiona blood work is needed. Then we can put a small scope up the nostril to investiage that problem and xrays may also help, but that requires general anesthesia.

The high white cell count supports some type of inflammation: many causes but could reflect a problem with the nostril. There are abourt four liver enzymes that we test for, and it depends on the elevation as to what might be going on there.

Sounds like you are working closely with your veterinarian. Ask about the association of the liver changes with the sneezing, etc. Ask about any blood problems that might cause bleeding, and then see what they recommend to make sure there is not a foxtail or other problem directly involving the nostril.

Let us know what you find out.

Dr. Sandy

seanpatrick1977 replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Dr. Willis,

She was sedated and scoped and nothing. The Dr. took cultures and is hoping for an infection. The other possibility that is less desirable is a growth (benign or malignant) in the nasal area past view of the scope that would require an MRI.

It is a bad feeling to start considering lifespan (almost 13 years old), expense, comfort of dog, danger of operation, etc.

Thanks for your reply, Dr.

bonkadonka replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
hey,
my dog yesterday had a bloody nose, bloody was comng from both nostrals. i made sure he didnt get into a fight. which he didnt.
he kept sneezing. everywhere. there was a lot of blood.
and a few time there were pritty big blood clots.
but the next day he seemed fine.
should i be worryed?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM replied to bonkadonka's response:
HI bonkadonka,

Blood especially coming from both nostrils can be a sign of a bleeding disorder, either a rodentacide toxicity or perhaps something going wrong with the clotting ability of the dog.

You may see blood coming from the nose but pets can bleed into their chests, brain, spinal cord, bladder, etc. and can get very weak and die.

I do not often see bleeding disorders that go away on their own. If you are concerned at all, see your veterinarian just to make sure there is not a bleeding problem. Dogs don't really get nose bleeds like kids and adults do.

High blood pressure and cause nose bleeds, both sides. Foreign bodies and tumors generally cause bleeding from one side.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Sandy

0813Bev replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
We had a dog that exhibited the above symptoms - lots of sneezing, blood coming from his nose.

Unfortunately, three different vets were in the 'discovery' phase, looking for foxtail, cheat grass, etc.

While 'waiting' for the tests, x-rays to come back, we took him to our local vet because the symptoms were getting worse by the day. He was diagnosed with cancer. Out of respect for 'Benny' and the pain he was in, we had him put to sleep.

When treating your pets, please try to remember to do what's best for the pet. 20/20 hindsight: I can't imagine the pain Benny must have been in.

Thanks in advance,

0813Bev

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections