Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
my dog is having trouble with bowel movements
An_220863 posted:
My dogs looks and acts her normal loving way but she has a great deal of trouble with her bowel movements....I think she may have swallowed something that she shouldn't have...and my spouse says that he saw some blood....Is there anything treatment, like laxative or enema, that I can do for her until she passes the thing that is giving her problems.
thank you

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Katherine Snyder, DVM, DACVIM responded:
There are several questions that I'd have for you to help clarify your dog's problem.

How old and what breed is your dog?
Are her stools watery, soft, normal, or very firm?
Does she seem uncomfortable when she defecates?
Is she able to posture like normal when she defecates?
Is she urinating normally?

If she's passing relatively normal stool, but it just takes her a long time to do it, chances are good that something is wrong with her rectum (the part of the colon closest to her anus) or the anal area itself. And this problem is usually NOT something they ate, because the colon is larger than the small intestine--so if the foreign object was going to get stuck, it usually gets stuck further up in the intestines where things are smaller. And dogs do NOT strain to defecate if they have a problem higher in their intestines.

She needs to be examined by a veterinarian. If there is nothing they can see on the outside of her body causing a problem, something is probably happening on the inside of her body. Your vet will probably start with a basic examination and a digital examination of her colon. If they don't find the answer, they may move on to X-rays, a neurological examination, or blood work.

I would not recommend giving her laxatives or enemas (both of which can be dangerous if given improperly) unless your veterinarian examines her and decides that it's the right thing to do.

Good luck!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections