Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Dog skin condition
DaniL262 posted:
My 3 year old English Springer Spaniel has had a reoccuring skin condition for about 2 years now. We have been to the vet many times and she says it's allergies and prescribes antibiotics and steroids. Usually it works, but comes back as soon as the antibiotics run out. I took him to a different vet a couple months ago for a second opinion who did not think it was allergies, did skin scrapings and had no idea what the problem could be. I'm just wondering if anyone else has a dog with similar problems, and what your vet says it is.

Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Dear DaniL262
Allergies are the number two pet insurance claim annually. Number one is ear infections. Most ear infections are a manifiestation of allerigies. Even skin infections can result from the scratching your dog does in responce to allergies. Since alleries are so common, it is reasonable to consider this diagnosis, but it seems like your springer is a perplexing case of skin disease. You might want to check with your veterinarian about arranging visit to a veterinary dermatologist. Most veterinary dermatologists deal with allergies many times a day and may quickly recognize exactly what is wrong with your dog.

Ann Hohenhaus

chick963 responded:
Hello, I was just wondering if you had any luck with your dog skin condition. I have a spaniel as well who seems to have the same condition. I've taken her in to have skin scrapping and they came back negative. I was given antibiotics too and it cleared up then came back again.

ponyrun2 responded:
Many many years ago we had a Cavalier Spaniel with canine atopy (inhalent allergies)... she was allergic to practically everything (chicken, turkey, eggs, flea spray, soap, practically every tree, bush, and grass etc).... depending on the allergen she developed sores like you picture... and yes, with antihistamines and antibiotics it will clear up but until you find the CAUSE of the allergy it will come back....

Causes can range from trees, bushes, grasses, detergents, soaps, flea spray, fleas, FOOD, other pets (our dog was allergic to our cat and parakeets as well)....

Work with your vet or a dermatologist to FIND THE CAUSE....

Good Luck

ponyrun2 responded:
One other thing.... our dog developed her allergies when she was about 2 or 3 years old and didn't get over them where medication was no longer necessary until she was nearly 10 years old....

LindaSee responded:
I would recommend starting by looking at your dog's nutrition. My dog had something that sounds just like this. We went the steroid, antibiotic, etc. route forever! I just got tired of masking the symptoms.

Someone told me about zinc deficiency, which made sense and fit. so I found a supplement and began doing all kinds of research on dog nutrition. Ended up switching to a grain free food, Taste of the Wild and adding a supplement, Dinovite (looks a bit like green toothpaste).

I don't know if what he actually had was a zinc deficiency becuase I have learned a whole lot more since then. what I do know is that he has no skin issues for the past year and no medications or vet bills either!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections