Includes Expert Content
Benadryl for dogs
3terriers posted:
We have a Bull Terrier-Gracie who is currently suffering with a allergic reaction from an unknown source. I read the article about dog skin allergies and it mentioned giving benadryl but it didn't give any information about the recommended dosage.Gracie's weight is 45 lbs. We need some help with the proper dosage.Thanks.

Ponyrun2 responded:
I have a "pill book for dogs" that says...

1 to 2 mg per pound of body weight 3 to 4 times a day

This is for diphenhydramine (Benedryl) ONLY - NOT any of the other antihistimines on the market

Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
Benadryl is commonly administered to pet's with mild seasonal allergies. The appropriate dose is the minimum amount needed to alleviate clinical signs. I typically start off with 25-mg every 6 to 8 hours and increase as needed. Some larger dogs may require 50-mg every 6 to 8 hours. The problem with higher dosages is many pets become sleepy or lethargic. Ask your vet the suggested starting dose for your pet based on it's individual needs. There may be more effective treatments from your vet. Make sure you have a definitive diagnosis before administering any medication - prescription or over-the-counter. Good luck.