Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dog Acting Differently
shiloh88 posted:
I have an almost 3 year old Rat Terrier who recently (as in yesterday) had a massive head swelling due to either an allergic reaction or bite. I was never able to determine which it was. Now that the swelling is completely gone, she has been acting differently towards me. She will not sleep with me anymore - I tried putting her on the bed, like always, and she immediately jumped off, ran downstairs, and slept there. She's never done that. And, she's either excessively hyper or very mellow. Almost like some form of bipolar. Granted, I did have to shove benadryl down her throat while she was sick - so she could be reluctant to be around me because of that, but I always rewarded her with a treat after she took the medicine. Does this new behavior need vet attention? Or, am I just overreacting?
Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
Yes, definitely have your pooch seen by your vet as soon as possible. Hopefully everything is okay, but you need to be certain. I'd also strongly recommend your vet evaluate basic blood and urine tests. Maybe it's just the Benadryl talking, but my advice is to have her checked out.


William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections