Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Thyroidism in Senior Cat
mytahoe posted:
Misty, my 16-year old Russian Blue "granddaughter", has today been diagnosed with a form of thyroid condition due to her weight loss and increased thirst and urination. Two of her liver values were on the high side (around 9.4) and her kidney analysis was on the higher end of the normal range. The vet recommended Tapazole and said due to the fact that the kidneys may think "failure" due to the slowing down of the blood, a "low" protein kidney diet was also suggested. My daughter spoke to the owner of a local nutritional pet store who had a similar diagnose of his cat and did research as he was told it should be "high" protein and found that no scientific evidence proved one was better that the other. Misty is currently on Herring/Salmon Evo and was formerly on Holistic Select. What are your opinions from a holistic standpoint as we are prone to raising and treating our babies with this type of mentality. Thank you.

Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Dear mytahoe,

Boy! kidneys are really the topic in the Community Exchange this week. Be sure to read the great stuff about kidney disease under "Cats Kidney Disease Any Experience with It?".

Hyperthyroidism is a common endocrine disease in cats. The resulting hypermetabolic state may mask kidney disease and treatment may make kidney disease more apparent. Your vet is wise to worry about the kidneys.

Research has shown cats with Stage 2 or 3 chronic kidney disease fed special kidney diets have fewer episodes of illness due to kidney disease and decreased deaths due to kidney failure.

This information may or may not apply to your cat since it has a complicating problem - hyperthyroidism. I suggest you discuss your concerns with your vet so you understand the rationale for the diet recommendation.

Ann Hohenhaus

mytahoe replied to Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM's response:
While awaiting your response, I checked into the wealth of info re holistic foods that have a low protein and phosphorus base as well as some calcium. Are you familiar with brands that you feel are better quality than others? I will speak to our vet; however, I am anxious to hear what you "experts" may recommend...I noticed that Dr Drew has a holistic approach...can he be asked to comment??

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections