Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
garbage eater
An_220896 posted:
my puppy gets into everything especially the trash. she got into the trash the other day and our family had chicken for dinner, she happened to get a hold of the container. she is okay dont worry but is it possible for dogs to get salmonella poisoned

Ponyrun2 responded:
I'm not sure if they can get salmonella or not but I've had dogs raid the trash and eat the most nastiest, moldiest, disgusting pieces of food and never seem to get sick... the worst they ever got was maybe a little diarrhea/soft stool for a day....

Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Dear Anon_55420 and Ponyrun2,

Both dogs and cats can become infected with Salmonella and that foam tray with the chicken juice on it would be a potential carrier of Salmonella. Dogs and cats with Salmonella look like humans with food poisoning, fever, vomiting, diarrhea- even blood in the diarrhea.

Best to keep your garbage hound away from the trash as it contains other nasties like bones peach pits and corn cobs.

For more on Salmonella here is a link. Ann Hohenhaus
http://amcny.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/salmonella-poisoning-in-pets/

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections