Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    doggie dirrhea
    aussiemom01 posted:
    I have a 4 yr old Australian shepherd. He has been throwing up yellow bile and suffering from dirrhea for sometime now. I have taken him the vet and they ran all the test she could think of and they found nothing! So we left with no anwers, the vet suggested having him nurtured. She said he is a breed that hyper already and that could help. So I dont know what to do? Please help..

Tina0706 responded:
    I hope you've seen a vet. If not, take your dog now!

zotie6 responded:
    Did they do a stool analysis to check for worms/parasites? Do you change your dogs diet alot? Some dogs digestive tract can't handle frequent changes in food. I have never heard that an intacted dog (not neutered) would cause vomiting and chronic diarrhea??? Definately get a second option.

Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
    AussieMom,

Poor boy! Some key medical history information to help your vet help your pet include:

1) When is the diarrhea/vomiting occurring? Is there a pattern? After feeding? In the morning? Etc.

2) Characterize the vomitus/diarrhea.

3) What is your pet's current diet? Include any treats, table snacks, supplements, etc. VERY IMPORTANT because diet is often a key cause of chronic, intermittent vomiting and diarrhea.

4) Medications, including heartworm and flea preventives.

5) Any previous medical history/illness/injuries.

Aside from this issue, I also advocate neutering your baby unless he is being used for breeding.

Take this information to your vet and see what the next steps are. Many of these cases can be readily identified and corrected with just a little work from everyone.

Good luck! Dr. Ernie

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
    Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections