Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Rimadyl Alternatives
juliearl posted:
My dog is 15 years old with arthritis. I was giving him glucosamine without relief, I started giving him Aspirin 500mg a day and it seemed to help his mobility and discomfort. His vet said that the aspirin would cause liver damage and ordered Rimadyl for him. He takes it 2 times a day and seems to help a little as did the aspirin, but it is very expensive. Would it be more harmful to give him the aspirin than the rimadyl? He was also newly diagnosed with heartworm, but he cannot get the treatment due to his age, current wt loss etc.

Violets_are_Blue responded:
To be honest, any medication like NSAIDS given long term has a chance of damaging the liver just because the liver is the organ that breaks drugs down. Every dog is different so finding the best NSAID for him may take some trial and error. While I understand where your vet was coming from, he may have decided on the Rimadyl to see if it worked better than the aspirin. Speak with your vet and let him know that the Rimadyl is not working better than the aspirin and see if there's something else you could try or switch back to aspirin. With NSAIDS, a lot of them still have patents so many can not be found in a generic formula thus the expense. Other NSAIDS are Deramaxx, Previcox, Etodolac, Metacam, and some others your vet may carry. There is another pain medication called Tramadol (in the same class as morphine) although it is generally used for more extreme cases.

Congratulations on making 15 years! Keeping the old guys as comfortable as possible is the number one concern and I hope this helps to do so.

MaryAnne0210 responded:
I started my (then) 12 yo Retriever on Rimadyl three years ago when we moved to a colder climate and we ended up moving into a house with stairs. Started with a whole pill but he was acting as if he was 2 again, jumping into the ocean chasing sticks, slipping on the rocks... crazy since he never liked the water when he WAS 2! LOL I cut back his intake to about 1/4 of a pill twice a day. I also read up on Rimadyl and after finding out that it caused liver/kidney damage I talked to my vet and went to Metacam. It, too, is an NSAID, but I've been just as happy with it. Now at 15 he's still going strong for his age. I also give him Glucosimine Chondroitine MSN crushed into his food. As for the heartworms, I would check into any treatments as quality of life is still important for your best friend!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections