Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Cat having muscle spasms?
Lbaby38 posted:
Once a week for months now my cat will run around the house tail wanging everywhere ear moving and on his skin on his back will move. I have gotten him to stop running around now and have him sit or lay down when he has this spasms and at times his back legs will shake and he will lick his front paws still his tail will be going everywhere and his ears twitch and his skin moves on his body. This lasts about a couple minute and then hes fine. What is happening to him?

Hes 8yrs old 20LB Maine Coon
indoor only

shellgg responded:
Hi,
My cat is also 8 years old and he started this years ago. It was quite frightening to me so I brought him to the vet. My vet basically said it was a nervous thing and not to worry about it. He'll shake his leg and run around just as you are describing. You can see the skin moving on his back. It drives him crazy for the moment but gets over it quickly. Like I said, he has been doing this for years now and is fine. I'm curious to see what the vet says too.
Good luck

Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Lbaby38-
Without seeing your cat I can't be sure, but this might be feline hyperesthesia syndrome. You Tube has videos of this disorder. Try and video your cat and take it with you to your veterinarian to help in the diagnosis.

Ann Hohenhaus

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
As Dr. Hohenhaus has already mentioned, Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome can cause the symptoms you describe. No one knows what causes this syndrome but some think it may be a type of seizure. In most cats, it does respond to anti-seizure medications. But before you take your cat to your veterinarian, make sure he doesn't have fleas, which can cause similar symptoms.

Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
The Cat Doctor
Board Certified in Feline Practice

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Just feed them ?
I caught my dog frantically licking the floor in the middle of the night last night. I took her outside and she started eating dry leaves ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections