Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
loss of teeth and IBD
unusualcats posted:
My cat was a stray, not sure of her age, took her and her newborn kitten in about four years ago. All went well until about 9 months ago. The mother cat started occasionally go outside the box ( bowel only) on the same spot. Very soft and sometimes blood. Had all the bloodwork and ultrasound and all is well. Gave her antibiotics and predisone, helped for a while. She has lost a lot of weight since loosing her teeth. She now has only her 2 fangs left. I give wet food twice a day and hard the rest. I think the hard food is what is causing the IBD. Does anyone know of and dry food that is semisoft like dog food? Or should I just cook my own food and let her have it more than twice a day. She always acts like she is starving. Fianlly when she has a loose bowel movement and does it in the litter box she refuses to cover it but instead runs out of the litter box like someone is chasing her. HELP!

Survivor4Ever responded:
First....I AM NOT A VET. This is from experience only. Most recently, my vet wanted me to put my cat who is 9 years old on ONLY moist food because of the benefits of moist food over dry. Go to www.catinfo.org to see the info on feeding moist vs. dry and you will understand why she wanted me to make the switch. So I would not worry about giving her any dry food. I would just give her a good quality moist food....just give her more of it. I would highly recommend Natural Balance canned cat food. They have both a grain-free alternative (hypo-allergenic) and regular formula. It's a VERY good cat food....highly recommended by my vet. Best of luck to you.

Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Dear unusual cats,
Cats are incredible aren't they. Hardly a tooth in their head and they can still eat. What is unusual about your cat is the weight loss. Many cats have few teeth, but can still maintain their weight. Your kitty may need a special diet, but I wouldnt recommend you creating your own cat food as you make end up with a cat who has bigger problems. You veterinarian can run some tests to determine if your cat has any vitamin deficiencies requiring treatment and can recommend an appropriate food. There may be additional tests necessary to determine the cause of the weight loss.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections