Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
Is my Jack Russell Terrier considered a "Senior"?
Survivor4Ever posted:
Hi everyone!

I have a 6-year-old JRT named Harley who will turn 7 in September. Will he be considered a Senior then??? He certainly doesn't act like a Senior that's for sure. I'll admit that over the last year or so he has lost maybe a step or two at daycare but I do believe he is still the fastest one there...ha ha!!! The reason it is important I know is because we need to change his dry kibble. We need to find something with a bit more fiber in it as he is having problems with chronic IBS and/or Inflammatory Bowel Disease and we are currently adding bulk fiber to his food twice a day. We would like to try to add it just once a day if possible and if we found the right food we could do that. So, I'm wondering if I need to look for a Senior food as well.

Thanks for any input you may be able to offer. Enjoy the weekend.

:)

Ponyrun2 responded:
I would consider a 6 year old small dog as middle-aged....

Your best bet is to just compare bag labels... There are so many choices of dog food out there for just about every known dietary condition I'm sure you can find a higher fiber dog food regardless of what the manufacturer may call it....

Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Dear Survivor4ever-
JRT's often have a very long life - I currently have a 15 1/2 year old JRT and her brother made it to 15. Research has show JRTs are some of the longest lived of the breeds. Hope Harley does as well. Your veterinarian is the best judge of Harley's need for a senior food. she may know of just the right food with fiber and the senior food formulation.

Ann Hohenhaus

Survivor4Ever replied to Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Dear Dr. Hohenhaus:

Thank you so very much for responding so quickly. I too hope that Harley does as well as your JRT's have done. He is currently doing very well by just adding the Metamucil to it his meals (he eats twice a day) but we are in hopes that we can find a dry food with a decent amount of fiber that is not made up of fillers and corn meals that is also not to big in kibble size either. Seems we are asking a lot but I know that if we are patient we will find it and we will all be happy...most importantly Harley will be HEALTHY AND HAPPY!!!

Thanks again. Harley thanks you as well!! :)

Ponyrun2 replied to Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM's response:
Would adding beans or other vegetables high in fiber do as well ?

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections