Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
need an answer
An_220916 posted:
I visited and helped out at my local cat shelter. I was told that three of the kittens less than a few months old had some kind of disease that affects the membranes and respitory parts of the cat. I was also told that if the disease affects their eyes its almost too late to do anything for the cats. The kittens eyes are pinkish red and are kind of cloudy. They are giving the kittens some eye drops.

My question is what is this disease called and what can you tell me about this disease? Can the kittens be saved?

Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
Great question - sadly I'm not psychic enough to give you a very accurate answer!

My suspicion is the shelter is referring to feline herpes virus infection. Don't worry; you can't get herpes from cats! This is their version and it typically results in chronic (life-long) intermittent infections of the upper respiratory tract. Clinical signs usually involve runny eyes, sneezing and decreased appetite. Most cases "run their course" in about two weeks while others require extensive treatment. I often recommend cats with herpes conjunctivitis be given a nutritional supplement, L-lysine, for life to help attenuate outbreaks.

Other more serious infections are a possibility.

If you have any additional information, please post so that we may have a better clinical picture.

As an aside, if you're contemplating adopting a shelter cat, keep in mind that herpes infection is extremely common in the cat population and shouldn't deter you from adoption. If you do, take it to your vet before allowing it to contact any of your existing feline family members.

Good luck! Dr. Ernie

An_220917 replied to Ernie Ward, DVM's response:
I will definately keep you up to date on other symptoms the kittens have. I did notice that they are friendly little things and they weren't with their real momma but a serrogate momma cat. I'm not sure where the real momma cat is. I don't think she was brought in with the kittens. The kittens eyes had sort of a pinkish cloudy look to them.

I've seen other cats in the shelter with similar eye problems but those are older cats.

I wish I could adopt one of the kittens cuz they are so sweet and want attention all the time and have the sweetest little meow where it is almost faint! I'm only allowed to have one pet in my apartment and I've already taken in a stray that we found last year. But she loves her new home and has easily gotten accustomed to staying inside now.

An_220918 replied to An_220917's response:
Oh! I almost forgot to tell you that I only see the kittens on the weekends. I can't wait to see them again!

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to An_220918's response:
Hi Anon_35910,

I hope the kittens at the shelter get better! Won't you keep us updated on how they are doing the next time you see them? I hope that they all get adopted and find new and wonderful homes with someone!

- Annie

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections