Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
My cat is throwing up
An_220926 posted:
Recently my cat has started to not chew her food and instead swallow the kibbles whole. She doesn't like canned food. She bites me when i try to hand feed her to make her slow down. Even when I hand feed her she still swallows the food whole. When she does this she ends up throwing up all her food. How do i make sure she chews her food?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
Cats do not chew like people do. In fact they have few molars and even those are not much of a grinding surface, more of a tearing surface. Most cats will swallow food with little or no chewing. That is normal.

If she is eating too fast, you can slow her down by giving her several small meals a day rather than one or two big ones. There is just lee food to swallow quickly.

It really sounds like she is a normal cat.

akitrix responded:
My cat used to throw up regularly, no health problems according to the vet; he recommended twice daily feeding, no improvement. Tried switching from "supermarket" food to premium no grain, high protein kibble.... no more throwing up!!

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
All three of my late cats used to throw up regularly. Usually if they ate too fast they would throw it up. Only my current big boy kitten Charlie seems not to have a glass stomach. He also does not wolf down his food. He plays with his kibbles before eating them one at a time.

But my dog will throw up hair balls and grass balls when she gets an upset stomach. She's the one with the glass stomach this time.

I hope that helps.

- Annie

roddyboy4545 responded:
yes i have the same way with my cat tiger lilly but she doesnt bite me when i feed her she just swallow her food and she takes a drink of water and next thing i know is that i have to wipe up after her after she throws up her food when she does then thats when i have to give her laxatone sometimes that works too i try everything i can for her taking her to the vet and all the vet gave her a shot and it made her gain waight and know i have to find a way to get her back to her sizes again but anyway try laxatone everytime cats throws up and give that to them

Tissecat responded:
Our male cat used to throw up after eating bec. of eating too quickly and this is how we solved it---- My husband took a travel shampoo bottle and cleaned it out very well (although you could use any med/small item) and put it in the bowl with our cat's food. Now he has to move the bottle around to get to his kibble and it slows him down quite a bit--so no more throwing up!

sfjberk responded:
Same thing here: one of my cats kept throwing up.
This went on for years, until I finally started buying "sensitive stomach" kibble.

A couple of months ago, a pet store clerk advised that it was most likely an allergy to grains - wheat, corn - found in regular (even premium) dry foods.

Sure enough, as soon as I started buying *any* kibble without grains, he's never thrown up again!

- Eukanuba Sensitive Stomach
- Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Original Ultra
- The Blue Buffalo Co's Blue Wilderness High Protein, Low Carb 100% Grain Free

Michael66049 responded:
As Dr. Weaver says below, cats rarely chew food, but will swallow it whole, if it's small enough. They're "designed" to kill their prey and the eat it one chunk at a time; if they bite off too big a chunk, they'll stand on it and tear it apart with their teeth. The only case of vomiting we've had in several months was when I gave our 1-year-old some canned "salmon dinner" cat food, which he couldn't keep down, though his brothers could. A high quality dry food such as Science Diet can usually put an end to vomiting, partly because the individual pebbles are so tiny and digestible, Science Diet canned food also is a great idea. I feed our three dry food twice daily and (because they're still young) supermarket canned food once (three meals: breakfast @ 6 AM, supper @ 5 PM, and bedtime snack just at bedtime, usually ca. 1015 PM, timed to induce sleepiness in them to coordinate with ours. Since the time between supper and snack is so short, supper is the meal for canned food; about a 1/4 of a can each. One cat is skinny, so he gets a large portion; another is a kitten and gets a supplement of pebbles; the third, 4, is chubby and gets the least. we've taught all of them to stand up with their front paws hanging down before we put their plates on the floor.

An_220927 responded:
I took my vet a month ago and his suggestion was to give her hairball medicne. You can purchase at Pet Smart, Walmart,etc. Follow directions. I have done this and she has stopped throwing up? I did not believe it but it worked.

purrfectiming2 responded:
I didn't know so many pet owners had this problem with their cats throwing up. I miserably cleaned up after mine for a couple years. Then I got desperate and stopped in the vet clinic in a Petco store where they also told me about Eukanuba-sensitive stomach. I've given that to my 2 cats for several years now and the throwing up has almost completely stopped. I also keep a fresh pot of kitty grass next to their food. That helps too. It also alerts me that a "throw up" is impending so I can quickly move kitty to the kitchen floor where its easier to clean up.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections