Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
discharge from spayed female dog
An_220945 posted:
my 9 yr old female that has been spayed since the age o 6 months, is now showing a slight bloody vaginal discharge. What can be causing this?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM responded:
Hi there,

Well, if she was spayed and has not shown any signs until this time, I agree that this bloody vaginal discharge is likely not a sign of heat behavior. Any other indications for a blood discharge elsewhere on her?
This could reflect a bleeding disorder, perhaps an inflammation within the vaginal, perhaps a growth.
I would take her to your veterinarian if it continues at all.
They would best be able to determine if it is local to that area, or reflect a more whole body problem. I have seen dogs come into heat years later that did have some retained ovarian tissue, but that would be unusual.
Sometimes serious bleeding problems show up as a bloody discharge in only one area.
Please keep us informed.

Dr. Sandy

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections