Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Puppy with Broken Tooth
I_love_prada posted:
Oh man! My female Yorkie has broken one of her canine teeth! I think that's what it's called..The longer pointy tooth on the left side toward the front. She wasn't in pain or acting out of the ordinary. I just saw it when I was brushing her teeth. The rest of her teeth are really small (she's 18 weeks, 3 lbs) so i would not have caught it if there wasn't a little bit of blood on/around it. Then I compared it to the one on the other side and I was like oh crap! She's always biting on the crate wire and crate tray, so I think that's how she did it. She's acting normal, and she didn't eat her full portion at first, which I thought was because of the tooth thing, but then I took outside to poop and she came back in and ate the rest.

So is there anything that I can/need to do?? As of this morning I didn't see any more blood around it...

ShivaChi responded:
I'd say call your vet just to make sure it won't cause any permanent harm or won't need to be removed. They may want to see her just to make sure. Has she lost her puppy teeth yet and gotten her adult teeth? If not, it may not be a huge deal because she'll be loosing it soon anyhow and getting her adult canine. My Aussie has a chipped tooth, not a big chip, but the top is blunter then the other ones. My vets have never said anything about it and my dog is fine, in no pain so I'm not worried. She's had it for a while now with no problem.

Like I already said though, just call your vet and explain what happened and see if they want to see her. Depending on how far down it broke, they might need to remove it. But if they don't have a problem with it, I wouldn't worry.

I_love_prada responded:
Okay I'll do that...I don't really know how to tell if she's lost her baby teeth...all of her teeth are really small, much smaller than the male yorkie who is 23 weeks...

ShivaChi responded:
Sounds like she still has her puppy teeth if her's are so much smaller than your boy's teeth. I don't remember at what age mine started to lose their baby teeth.

Normally you can tell because when they start to get loose and irritate them they'll paw at their mouth, or in my dogs case, do a lot of licking of their own mouth like he was trying to push it out with his tounge. And with some puppies they'll be playing tug of war with another dog or you and all of a sudden one will pop out due to the tugging. Occasionally they'll come out while the dog is eating and they'll swallow them or you'll find one on your floor.

Your vet, or a vet tech there, could tell you for sure what age they should start to lose their baby teeth at, it may be different for little dogs, I've only had medium to large dogs so I don't know if there is a difference. But yes, just check with your vet and go from there. It may need to be removed to avoid infection if it's broken too far down, if it's a puppy tooth and if it's an adult tooth, I don't know if they'd remove it or cap it like they would on a human.

I_love_prada responded:
Okay...I just spoke to the Vet's assistant, and she told me that if Chloe is not exhibiting any pain, I should be okay in waiting...I have to take her tuesday to get the rest of her shots. She added that if she exhibits any pain whatsoever, to bring her in ASAP. She said a sore mouth may discourage her from eating, and her appetite is already reduced because of the medicine she's taking for the kennel cough. So I guess I'll just wait, watch and see.

Kathy_Snyder_DVM_DACVIM responded:
Most dogs will have their permanent canine teeth come in around 5-6 months of age. This varies a lot, however, and sometimes their permanent canines will come in as early as 4 months of age. Sounds like your baby is right at the lower end of this range, so hopefully it's just her baby tooth (which would be great!). Are you sure she didn't just lose her baby tooth and you're seeing her new, adult canine coming in? That could cause a little blood.

Your vet should definitely be able to tell you which teeth are her adult teeth when you take her in on Tuesday.

Good luck!

I_love_prada responded:
Hey just updating...I went to the vet yesterday, and he did confirm that the broken tooth was a temporary tooth. I was so relieved!

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

milk in nursing dogs
My chihuahua had 6 puppies on April 22nd and now seems to be running out of milk. Two of the six are not gaining weight and will not take ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections