Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
need answers for Urinary Tract Infection in a cat
kittylover55 posted:
I'd like to get some answers for what a UTI is in a cat. How does a cat get a UTI ? What are the symptoms of having a UTI? Is a cat in pain when it has a UTI? Can a cat have a UTI and not be in pain when it goes pee pee? Can cats at any age get UTI's or just those over the age of 8 or older? Does a cat have to have all the symptoms of what a UTI is or can the cat have only a few of the symptoms?

I'd like as much help on this topic as I can because I think that my cat may have a UTI but she isn't in pain when she goes pee pee and she drinks and eats fine. She did have a problem with going outside the litter box but since I added an additional litter box she stopped. She now seems to enjoy having two litter boxes. Its almost as if she uses one to pee pee in and the other to poo in and sometimes pee pee too.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi kittylover55,

A UTI is a bacterial infection in the urinary tract. If you do suspect that your cat has one you will want to take your cat to the vet so that your cat can be tested and treated with antibiotics as you do not want the infection to spread to the kidneys.

I've had cats with UTIs before and each cat was individual. For me the signs were that the cat would pee outside the litter pan, they were trying to tell me that they were sick and not feeling well.

This article
Urinary Tract Problems in Cats

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-urinary-tract-problems

may be helpful to you before you see your vet.

Won't you let us know how your cat is doing once he's been seen by one?

- Annie

Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
Great response Annie! UTI's are much more common in older cats. Ask your vet to perform a urine culture (we can do them in 24 hours!) to verify that an infection is teh cause of your baby's problem as opposed to inflammation (sterile or interstitial cystitis), stones or crystals or even behavioral issues. Good luck! Dr. Ernie

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections