Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Neocort--Over the counter?
DavidnLalaLand posted:
I have two dogs, both with need of treatments for "hot spots".
I have read some review and expert advice on WebMD/Pet Health.
I will use Betadine during the baths but not familiar with Nolvason? Is this a shampoo that can be purchased in most pet stores like Petco?

Also, it states to apply Panalog and or Neocort?
Im familiar with cortisone products sold over the counter and have wondered if that would work on pets?
Please share your experiences and success's with what works.
Thank You

MaryAnne0210 responded:
I have a Flatcoat Retriever who spent his time suffering from hot spots - generally Prednazone (Rx) is what helped - nothing topical ever helped. Also, shaving him helped. The problems mostly was living in areas when we didn't have AC and we would warmer days are usually what triggered his episodes. Good luck!

Violets_are_Blue responded:
Nolvason is an antibiotic ointment available through veterinarians. It's used mostly on skin infections and open and drainin abscesses.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM, is a small animal internal medicine consultant for Phoenix Central Laboratory, an independent veterinary diagnostic laborat...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections