Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
help! my 4 week old kitten is constipated.
anizabenzie posted:
my cat had kittens and two have died already because they were anemic. the other two are doing way better and arent anemic. but i beleive the mothers milk has dried up. yesterday one of the kittens bum was cramping so i looked and he was pooping. and now since last night his legs have been dragging behind him and hes pulling himself by his front paws. i dont know what to do. ive given him milk. ive rubbed a warm wet paper towel on his bottom half and he only pees.... what do i do please help me. i dont have money for a vet. i feel like a horrible person.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
There are a lot of possible causes for the problems you have described. Kittens that die from anemia often have a lot of blood sucking intestinal parasites (hookworms), fleas, and/or infectious disease (feline leukemia is the most common). For the kitten that is dragging his legs (assuming he was walking before), it suggests that something is either making him so weak he can't walk or something is affecting his nervous system and causing a paralysis. If the kittens are 3 weeks or older, you can offer them some canned cat food with added water or some dry kitten chow that has been soaked in water to make it soft. Those will have the best chance of providing the appropriate nutrition (milk humans drink is not adequate nutritionally for what a kitten needs and as kittens get older it can actually upset their intestinal systems). Continue gently rubbing the backsides several times a day as you have been too. Time will tell what will happen, but good nutrition is an important start.

anizabenzie replied to Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS's response:
thank you so much i really apreciate it!! i will try to give him food..... hes so bloated i feel horrible that i cant take him to the vet. when they were little they did have fleas but we got rid of them right after we realized but they were infested. two survived... he was walking before.. but yesterday when his legs first started dragging behind him, he pooped a big light brown poop almost an inch long and 1 centimeter wide. he did another smaller one after. can constipation make kittens legs drag behind them when he walks? if i brought him to the vet would they tell me what was wrong with him, but the thing is i dont have money.... i start school on friday and my mom works during the day, what do i do about feeding them and rubbing their backsides? im so worried....

anizabenzie replied to anizabenzie's response:
ya know. i was also wondering.... if i were to bring the two of the kitties to the vets and give them to the vets.... would they fix the kitties legs and find him a good home???????

Violets_are_Blue replied to anizabenzie's response:
Please discuss this with your veterinarian before making any decision like that. It can cause a strain on your relationship with your vet if you just show up and try to hand over the kittens. Even then, some vet clinics just cannot take care of them with the many animals they have to take care of and they could be surrendered to the shelter. Discuss if your family could do a payment plan if this problem does not clear up. They may be able to watch the kittens during the day for you (although this may cost) if you are unable to figure out a situation for them.

anizabenzie replied to Violets_are_Blue's response:
thank you for your time in replying. everything counts to me. ive been uncontrollably crying all day because i dont know what to do. if my kittens legs are paralyzed, is there some type of medicine i could get from the vet for him, or some type of surgery? does anyone know? i will figure out a way to pay it, i will sell my great grandmothers jewelry. something. i love these animals with all my heart. i dont know how his legs got paralyzed he was walking fine in the kithen and i carried him into the family room to be with his mom ad he started dragging his legs... right after that he pooped twice. but they are still dragging and his tummy is bloated.. i dont know if its constipation or if his legs are paralyzed.. this is heart breaking.

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM replied to anizabenzie's response:
HI Anizabenzie,

It sounds like you are doing the best you can for the kitties. If they are really not doing well, I would still try to find a veterinarian that would at least look at them and see if the condition is life threatening and make sure that the kitties are not suffering.

Yes, veterinary medicine does cost something but most of us don't want to see dogs and cats suffer. As mentioned, whether or not they would agree to take them and rear them, trying to find a home, depends on the clinic.

It does not hurt to ask.

Dr. Sandy

anizabenzie replied to Sandy Willis, DVM, DACVIM's response:
thank you so much for your help. the thing is, is that im 15. and my mother hasnt agreed to anything like the kitty laxatives.. i told her the mom cats milk dried up she didnt beleive me. they are dehydrated. ive been feeding them water through an eyedropper as often as they will drink.. and the mother rarely stimulates them to go potty.. so i usually do that with a wet warm paper towel. does anyone know how much it would cost, roughly, to take them to the vets??? i really need to help these kittens. please...

anizabenzie replied to anizabenzie's response:
do all vet clinics do a payment system?? like can i pay so much a month... i really dont have a lot of money and i want to do what i can... if i cant do a payment system what are my options??? please help me

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to anizabenzie's response:
Hi anizabenzie,

You really need to contact your vet and ask if they take a payment plan or not. I would also suggest contacting your local animal shelter for help. Many contract with local vets near the shelter to look after the animals.

When my daughter was in high school, one of her class requirements was to volunteer and she picked a vet clinic to volunteer at. That clinic was a health provider for an animal shelter, they did spay and neuters on animals from the shelter.

Also ask your vet if they can take in a surrendered animal, if not please contact your shelter for help.

My daughter volunteered last year an a different vet clinic as a pre-requisite to apply to a community college's vet tech program and the clinic that she volunteered at did take in a momma cat with 5 kittens that someone had brought in and surrendered. The clinic took care of the cat and kittens and that's how my family ended up adopting our kitten Charlie. So it doesn't hurt to ask your vet if they do take in surrendered animals.

- Annie

anizabenzie replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
thank you so much for your help. i will call around. theres only two kittens that need to go there its not like she had a full litter (she had four but two passed away). but i really want to see about the payment plan so that i could keep him at home when he gets bigger so i know hes getting cared for. and i dont have to worry if the family who adopted him abuses him. that would break my heart. ill let you know how things go.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections