Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
my kitten is cold. what can i do to warm him up.
anizabenzie posted:
have another four week old kitten and he is cold. he is laying under the fridge at the vent part where the hot air comes out. should i let him stay there or do something else. we are surrendering him to the vet tomorrow. because his brother was surrendered today and his red blood cell count was 8 percent out of like 20.. (because hes anemic and so is this one)..and his body temperature was low. im worried he might have the same problem. any ideas on how to keep him warm until tomorrow?? i have had the heat in my house cranked up to about 75 all day and its so hot in here. hes still cold. what should i do until tomorrow??

An_220984 responded:
You could try giving him a hot water bottle filled with very warm water. But not so hot that it could burn him sort of like water that is just starting to get hot. Just make sure you wrap the hot water bottle in a towel first before you put the kitten on it. If you don't have a hot water bottle you could heat up a towel or two and put them in the microwave or dryer and wrap him in it. Get a small box that he can get out of and put one of the warm towels on the bottom of the box then place the kitten on the towel and put the other towel on top of him.

This should keep him warm for a while. Hope all goes well for him and his brother! keep us posted, ok?

anizabenzie replied to An_220984's response:
thank you so much i appreciate it! i heated up the towels in the microwave. he loves it hes just laying there passed out!! its so cute... ive been also giving him fluids he was dehydrated so i gave him that... ever since the first two kittens died of flea anemia the mother has been not caring for them as much.. like not stimulating them to go potty and such.. so ive been feeding him water and a little bit of lactose free milk. its been so hard watching the first kitten drag himself around by his two front paws. i surrendered him to the vet today and they said they will fix his legs right up and find him a good home. which makes me feel so much better. i was crying for that whole day.. and now that hes at the vet im crying because i miss him. but itss for the best!! and he will be better!! i want to bring the other one down there to because of the temperature and they blood cell count. i dont know how i would live with myself if i didnt bring him to the vet like his brother.. i want them to have a chance. i hope that i made the right choice. and i hope i will make the right choice again tomorrow too. thank you for your help! it means a lot to me! (:

ticosmammy replied to anizabenzie's response:
know its a long time now since you posted about the kittens but i was wondering how they got on in the end ?

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections