Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
diahrea everytime he eats.
anizabenzie posted:
my four week old kitten is just starting to know what food is and taste it and eat a little.. after he eats he gets a light brown color diahrea.. it just runs onto the floor.. is it normal for this to happen to kittens? earlier he had a solid dark brown poop. so it doesnt happen everytime. has this happened to anyone elses kitten?

kittylover55 responded:
It's normal for kittens to have some diahrea when their little bodies are getting used to new foods. You just give him dry food right now, right? Are you using kitten food or adult food?

If you see him start to get lethargic and lay around and not eat drink or play like he normally does I would suggest taking him to the vet and get him checked out.

Good luck with your new kitten!

anizabenzie replied to kittylover55's response:
thank you for taking the time and replying!

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
There are 3 things that could be causing some diarrhea in a 4 week old kitten. The most common would be different types of intestinal parasites. A second cause is that the normal flora of the intestine is just getting established and will take a little time for them to establish a normal environment for them in the intestine. A third cause can be that the kitten is eatting too much at a time. When a lot of food goes it, it tends to push the contents of the intestines through faster than is required to reabsorb the water, so the feces comes out with too much water (diarrhea). Back off on the amount of food a little and feed it in several small meals a day instead of a couple of large ones. Occasionally the specific food can cause trouble, but that is much more likely to occur in an older cat.

I hope this will help.

anizabenzie replied to Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS's response:
it did help thank you... i watched him eat before i changed his diet and he was eating too much.. too fast.. and drinking A LOT of water... so i feeed him a little less and not so much water and also not so much wet food.. i feed him a little more dry food and he has no more diarhea!! thanks

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

to: Msapprehension
dogs eat their poop by nature. before dogs were "pets" they were wild and ran in packs. they ate their poop everyday for two reasons: 1 - ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections