Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
goop in the eyes fleas
abrechtfeldt posted:
Our cat had 3 kittens about four weeks ago. They all have fleas really bad, we have treated the mother cat but we cant use anything on the kittens because they are too young. I comb them out as much as I can, but it hasn't helped. We bombed the house before the kittens were born. They also have gunk in there eyes that closes them shut, we wipe their eyes daily by morning its back. We have a son almost two year old and it isn't healthy for him, I need advice of what to do. thank you.

anizabenzie responded:
im not sure what to do about the goop. but my cat had kittens and they got fleas and you really cant put medicine on them but you can put baby oil on them and it will suffocate the fleas and the fleas will die and after you put it on them wait a minute and comb them. once you have combed them, wash as much of the baby oil off as you can. good luck!!

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
Getting fleas under control can be difficult for kittens that age. In addition, fleas spend about 90% of their time off the pets and are proficient egg layers, so you have some idea of the magnitude of the problem. Many times we have to use warm water baths to reduce the flea population on the dittens and mom until the kittens are old enough for specific flea products. Four weeks is a tough age for flea control.

Several kitty diseases can have mattery eyes as a problem. You should get antibiotic ointment from your veterinarian to help get that condition under control. Also watch for sneezing and nasal discharge as other signs of some of these diseases. Because one fo the cat diseases (chamyldia) can rarely infect people, it is important to get treatment for the kittens.

Thanks for worrying about your son and about the kittens.

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

Bernadine D. Cruz, DVM, is an associate veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital, Laguna Hills, Calif. She specializes in companion animal medicin...More

Helpful Tips

Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 46 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections