Skip to content

Announcements

The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
cat problem
janave posted:
my 12 yr old cat was acting listless, not eating or drinking. took him to the vet and she said he had a fever but his blood work was ok except for some white blood count elevation. She said he had a tooth infection (I had heard from that my former vet in NC but the cat was doing fine). She gave him an antibiotic shot and sent him home to get his fever done before the surgery . He became almost lifeless so I took him in again and she said fever was up so more antiotibitcs before she could do the teeth surgery . He still was not doing well but she felt she needed the teeth to come out. His xray looked ok but she said that if there was a tumor, it would not show up. It could be a sinus tumor since he had had closed left nostril and closed left eye when I first brought him him. She did the surgery and he seemed to have trouble breathing but she said it was sounds from his mouth. He seemed to do better with my giving him soft UR Purina food vs regular UX dry food but did not pee or poop. he finally peed once but no poops two days later. He again seems listless and almost unresponsive. Of course, her office is closed and after $1300 I am reluctant to take him to emergency room. he seems to rally. Last night the rascral got out my front door but came right back. Any ideas?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
what's the latest status on your pet? hope everyone's doing better, Dr. Ernie

Featuring Experts from AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

William Draper, DVM, better known as "Dr. Will," is a well-known small animal practitioner in the Atlanta, GA area. He grew up in Inglewood,...More

Helpful Tips

Excellent website for information on parasites in dogs and catsExpert
I just conducted a seminar and hands-on demonstration on diagnosis of fecal parasites to veterinarians and technicians. An excellent ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections