Skip to content


The Pet Health Community and Pet Health Center are NOT substitutes for a vet visit. Contact a vet in an emergency! | Dog Conditions A-Z | Dog Symptoms A-Z | Cat Conditions A-Z | Cat Symptoms A-Z

Remember Your Beloved Pet
Includes Expert Content
my dog is having trouble walking and now developing sores
An_220999 posted:
We took her to the vet and she had an exam and we ran extra tests. all the vet could tell me was that she is in excellent health according to her tests she had a fever and was prescribed antibiotics. And she may have arthritis. I called the vet a few times as her condition worsened and they never returned my call. She is eating fine. but she needs help getting up once she is up she is shaky when walking and we sometimes have to support her so she wont fall. We have to carry her up the stairs. She has now developed a nasty looking sore on her hip and I have been cleaning it with saline solution several times a day and covering with guaze also giving her cephalex as directed but now today I see another sore this seems to be spreading. Not sure what to do or if these symptoms indicate something. She is a 13 year old German Shepherd.
Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
No doubt on this one - see your vet ASAP! If you're not receiving the care you need, ask your neighbors for their advice on choosing a veterinarian. My advice is contact your vet, tell them the situation and get her seen today. Good luck. Dr. Ernie


Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP, is one of the few board-certified feline specialists in the nation, having practiced medicine for more than 25 years. Weigner...More

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections