Includes Expert Content
my dogs wont stop eating worms!
chewchew8 posted:
My little 8 month Pom loves to eat dried up worms on the sidewalk when I take him out for walks and they are everywhere because of the heat right now. Are they bad for him? He has a weak stomach as it is. He usually gets car sick and sometimes spits up what looks like spit and other times food. And recently I have noticed him eating grass quite frequently. Should I be concerned?

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
Dogs eat lots of things that do not appeal to us, and generally a few earthworms do not hurt. Since this happens when you are on walks, you have the leash and the method to prevent him for getting to them in the first place.

Grass eating is normal for dogs. Most of the time it is insignificant. In puppies it rarely is related to the puppy not feeling well. As dogs get older, they apparently learn the connections of eating lots of grass and vomiting, so that approximately 30% of the time when they eat grass, vomiting will follow. Think of grass as salad for dogs and a little bit is normal and expected. You will notice a greater tendency to do this in Spring because the new grass is tender and there wasn't any available over the winter.

Grass is ok, minimize the earthworms.